Sunday, June 7, 2015

Jun 1- DESIRE GOOD THINGS!

We found 2 new Chinese investigators this week, which was exciting! (don't let that fool any of you, I stop them, Sister Yeung talks to them!)

OH, funny story! We were teaching a Chinese lesson, and an Asian looking man walked into our lesson looking confused. He was looking for the chinese elders. I said, "hello!" and when he still looked confused I said, "Ni Haoma!" (Hello, how are you.) He said, "I don't speak Chinese." Awkward. I said, "Oh, where are you from?" He said, "Where do you think I am from?" (in my head I was thinking, OBVIOUSLY NOT CHINA.) "ummm.. Portland?" (in my defense, anyone who looks chinese but isn't from China is normally from Portland.) Later I found out he was from Indonesia. HAHAHAHA those awkward missionary moments.... ok, actually that was just an awkward moment. 

Also, this week our DL and his companion were in a car crash. We were told that one of the elders was "realeased." We thought he was released as a missionary. We all cried and baked them cookies. We found out later that he got released from the hospital... (sisters are always SO DRAMATIC.) haha, but they are both doing fine, they just have to sleep a lot. 

We taught Corey, a Chinese investigator, and he wanted to know what Christians always get emotional when they talk about Jesus Christ. That was the coolest question I have ever received on my mission!

MIRACLES OF THE WEEK:

We taught Lexa, an investigator, and when we got to the restoration she said, "Why have I never heard of this before?" She then wanted to watch a movie about Joseph Smith, it was awesome.

We also went tracting, and we tracted into Trudy who is 54. Not YSA age, but she let us right in! We were all in tears as we talked about how Christ has helped us in our lives. We left her with a Book of Mormon, and she told us to come back anytime!  She reminds me of my sweet Mary Ann Sackett from my first area. I miss that woman!! 

It is really easy to find new investigators in the YSA ward, and these people are so open and humble! We always have ROCKING first lessons with them, but then they disappear since school is hard and stressful! They are also easily persuaded by their peers! We are hoping we can set up all our second lessons this next week! 

LESSON I LEARNED THIS WEEK:

How important the desires of our hearts are! I was reading in Alma 47 and 48, and it contrasts the desires of Amalikiah's hearts against those of Moroni's.  (Amalikiah: Alma 47:8, 20. Moroni: Alma 48:7, 10) I realized that in both of these instances, they both received what they truly desired. One had righteous desires, where the other didn't. That made me think, what are my TRUE desires? I will receive what I work towards, whether that is something good or bad. Dallin H. Oaks said, "Desires dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions. The desires we ACT on determine our changing, our achieving, and our becoming." 

I LOVE YOU ALL! HAVE A GREAT WEEK! DESIRE GOOD THINGS!
(does that even make sense?)

Sister Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment