Monday, November 30, 2015

Nov 2- Lots of tracting

Hello from Oregon! 

Embarrassing moment of the week: Sunday morning has I was getting ready for church, I stabbed myself in the eyeball with a safety pin. (Don't ask) Granted, I don't know if I got the eyeball or the eyelid.. Either way it hurt pretty bad. I laid on the couch for a half hour because I couldn't open it. We were late to ward council and my eye was red and puffy and watery, and since my eye was watery my nose was running as well. I was pretty embarrassed since we don't know anyone super well yet... But the eyeball is fine now. 

This week was basically full of tracting, which does start to get tedious after a while. We found someone new to teach, but her return appointment fell through. We are fasting and praying for our area. 

Our only investigator is named Rhonda, and the elders gave her to us. She has a complicated story and isn't technically an investigator, but she has been going to church, reading, and praying, for a year. She won't get baptized, and no one is sure why... We will see what God can do :) 

Tuesday we had the ward party, and we got to be the taste testers for the pie and soup contest. That was pretty awesome. 

As I was reading through the Book of Mormon I came across a scripture in Helaman 4:13 which states, "And because of this their great wickedness, and their BOASTINGS IN THEIR OWN STRENGTH, they were LEFT IN THEIR OWN STRENGTH; therefore they did not prosper."

This in turn made me think of a scripture in 2 Nephi 20:15 which says, "Shall the ax boast itself against him that heweth therewith? Shall the saw magnify itself against him that shaketh it? As if the rod should shake itself against them that lift it up, or as if the staff should lift up itself as if it were no wood." This scripture talks about how an tools are NOTHING without someone to maneuver them. It doesn't matter if you are the "latest model," or the "sharpest tool in the shed," you are utterly useless without a skilled owner. On that note, we can be in pristine condition, but without God it doesn't really matter. On the flip side, if God is our owner, if we allow Christ to lead us, what can't we accomplish? It doesn't matter if we are old, rusty, bent, or broken. He can accomplish whatever he needs because we are perfect, he is not. 

I have tried to do things my own way often on my mission. From experience, it doesn't turn out very well. God is helping me to rely completely on him while here in Santa Clara. It has been a very humbling experience. I obviously still have things to learn and accomplish! 

I love you all! 

Sister Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment