Monday, November 10, 2014

Oct. 20th- Numb Fingers, Dead Squirrels, and Polygamist Colonies

ALOHA!!

This week has been extremely... interesting. But, THE OREGON RAIN HAS OFFICIALLY BEGAN! It is actually a little bit exciting to be trudging through the rain sopping wet. As long as it never gets cold right?? :)
 
 
 There are a plethora of thrift shops in Coquille which are super fun to look through :)


The majority of our lessons fell through this week, which happens sometimes. Let me tell you about all the interesting things which happened still. 

1. I shut my finger in the car door...then I couldn't get it out! TALK ABOUT EMBARRASSING. My finger was huge, cut up, and puffy. It looked like the tip of it was practically squished flat. That was last Thursday, and after all the swelling went down, I am left without feeling in the tip of my pointer finger. It is the weirdest sensation. I asked a nurse in the ward about it.. she said either 1. My finger will regain it's feeling in three months or 2. the feeling will never come back and I will just have to be aware of it when it starts to get cold in the winter and make sure to keep it safe. Kind of a cool mission story one day if you ask me. Sister Vance is probably really annoyed because I can't stop poking her... but it just feels so weird that I can't feel anything!

2. I did something horrifying. I was just driving along.. and a squirrel planted itself RIGHT IN FRONT of our moving car... I screamed and cried after hitting the poor little animal.

3. A member in our ward told us a polygamist colony was camping out by her house. She told us they were super nice and wanted us to go and visit them... so we did :) Sister Vance and I put on our longest skirts and then put in a braid in our hair and went and talked to them (we fit right in.) They were the NICEST people who have devoted their lives to God! One man teaches everyone in India about Jesus Christ! It ended up being kind of weird though because we were trying to convert them and they were trying to convert us... But it was a fun experience. and I got a tour of their gypsy caravan. 

BUT Kersha is still doing fantastic. She is the reason why Sister Vance and I are serving in Coquille :) Also, we hadn't seen Mindy in a couple of weeks (she went to the doctor and found out she has a broken back) but she still showed up at church, despite all of the pain!! We are so proud of both of their progress :) 

MIRACLE..we gave a lady which we do service with a copy of the Book of Mormon because she asked if she could borrow one. She called us and said, "I have been reading through your book. Whenever you have a free afternoon, I have some questions for you." Watch out Suzanne, you are feeling the spirit! :) 

Even though a lot of hard things happened this week, I know that it has pushed me to grow. As we were sitting in sacrament meeting, someone played a BEAUTIFUL melody of "Nearer My God to Thee." There is a line which says, "Nearer, my God, to thee, Nearer to thee! E'en though it be a cross That raiseth me." Tears welled up in my eyes as it hit me.. When we go through hard things, when we are "bearing the crosses of the world," we are growing closer to God and Jesus Christ. We understand a SMALL PART of what Christ must have gone through. President Holland states, "When we are spit at, mocked upon, we are standing soldier to soldier with the greatest life who has ever lived." I testify that the Savior is real, and that we have to walk some of the path which he walked in order to truly understand everything which he went through for us. We can cast our burdens on him and receive strength to, "Bear up our burdens with ease" as he did for the people in Mosiah ch. 24.

The gospel is true! I am so honored to be proclaiming it to the world!

Sister Jones
 

No comments:

Post a Comment