Monday, November 10, 2014

Oct. 27-Need strength? FAST

AAAAANNNNDDDD Another week down! :)
Remember how I said the Oregon rain started last week? I lied. It
started THIS week! Everyone keeps telling us this is nothing, but I
don't believe it. Sister Vance and I are constantly laughing
hysterically as we are in the pouring rain with the crazy strong
winds! We think it is hilarious, we must look ridiculous. People keep
saying,"what are you doing outside in this weather?" Well, let me tell
you about this cooool blue book....

Best thing of my week/day/life: Kersha. Last week about half of our
investigators dropped us. Sister Vance and I had been in denial... But
we finally accepted the facts :) however, we had a lesson with Kersha
on Monday and that makes IT ALL WORTH IT! We have started teaching her
son, miles, and her daughter, Mariah. They are adorable kids who love
the missionaries. Mariah always brings her little friends by when we
are there, points at us, then whispers, "look. We have missionaries
who come to our house." However, Kersha's husband (well, hopefully
husband soon... Boyfriend as of 14 years) doesn't want anything to do
with the gospel. He won't even be in the same room as us! Kersha and
her kids came to church, have been reading diligently from the Book of
Mormon, and are getting along well with everyone at church. Sunday we
had the primary program, which was all about families. I couldn't stop
thinking about Kersha, her family, and the blessings which POUR into
our lives as we live e gospel. I know that she will have a forever
family one day, and that God is capable of miracles to soften Tim's
heart.




Wednesday was such a fun day! A lady which we know in the community
called us up and asked us to paint the shop windows for Halloween.
Suzanne is a lady who asked us if she could "borrow" a Book of Mormon
a couple of weeks ago. When she called us up tomato us to do service,
she said, "also, I have been reading the book you gave me. I know that
you are super busy, but could you squeeze me in some afternoon to come
by and answer some of my questions?" I guess... It is such a burden to
our schedule... ;) haha we were super excited! During the service
opportunity Suzanne took a BUNCH of pictures and posted them on
Facebook! I will send them to you!

One of our investigators, Avril, is SUPER dying from cancer. She keeps
saying, "this requires too much energy. Can't I just accept before I
die?" I laugh and tell her heck no! She always is sassing me so I sass
her right back :) poor girl.

This week, my testimony of fasting has grown SO MUCH. I realized that
it talks about fasting all over in the scriptures, but I somehow would
always just skip over that word! Alma and he sons of Mosiah are such
great examples of how we should be living our life...

2 Now these sons of Mosiah were with Alma at the time the angel first
appeared unto him; therefore Alma did rejoice exceedingly to see his
brethren; and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren
in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the
truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they had
searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of
God.

3 But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and
fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of
revelation, and when they taught, they taught with power and authority
of God.
Alma 17:2-3

They gave themselves to much prayer AND fasting! In conference it was
said,  "I cannot think of any law, any commandment, which, if kept
faithfully, is easier to keep and which provides greater blessings
than the law of the fast." Sister Vance watched how it strengthened us
AND our investigators this week! The crazy thing is that in order to
go 24 hours, and have a deep and meaningful fast, you have to rely and
Christ in order to make it! We need Christ to help us fulfill EVERY
aspect of our lives.

All things are possible through Christ's atonement :)

Sister Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment